[PyrNet-L] Breeding

(This is a second re-posting as the originals did not go through)

To Maryellen and other Pyr owners contemplating breeding their bitch,
consider this BEFORE you breed....

Yes I have a male, in fact several, that would (I'm sure) love to breed your bitch.  But anyone who approaches me for potential stud service has to earn my respect first.    How does one do that?  Join a local and the National breed Club, attend Club events, assist with rescue, contribute to the newsletter, solicit opinions, ask questions about health issues & breeding concerns, be open to learn & listen to what others are saying, subscribe to the Code of Ethics.  This will help us get to know you in the Pyr community and goes a long way towards respecting you.

Purchase a copy of the Illustrated Breed Standard and read it cover to cover - then read it again with your bitch in view.  Does she meet the Standard?  If you are not sure then "network".  Ask other experienced breeders for their honest opinions on your bitches strong and weak points.  People who take the time to learn everything they can about the finer points of the breed and who will admit their bitches faults earn points towards my respect.  I've spayed many a bitch that didn't live up to the best of the Standard..not every bitch 'needs' to be bred.

Exhibit at dog shows but remember..a Championship does not a good bitch make.  All my puppy people get the "lecture" if they ask me about breeding their dog.  I don't care if that pup becomes the Top Pyr in the nation with multiple Best in Show wins - that non-breeding agreement will NOT be lifted unless they can prove to me that they will be responsible to the BREED.  If the owner/breeder is not responsible on how they breed that dog, they show no respect for the breed and will do more damage than good.  It takes two quality animals, a solid background of knowledge, responsible placements of the puppies produced, and a lot of luck thrown in, (and a lot of heartbreak along the way) to make a breeding successful.

I'm not alone in my thinking.  Many breeders had to prove themselves (pay their dues) before entering the "breeding ring".  That is what we have to do to protect this breed.

This area (S.W. British Columbia) is already becoming saturated with cheap Pyr puppies looking for homes from well-intended breeders (in their eyes).  No one is willing to pay top price for a quality animal...can you blame them?  Unfortunately it is these animals that I, and other caring Pyr owners, have to take care of in rescue...part of our responsibility to the breed (more points earned!)  The homes for these dogs are just not available.

Before you breed..can you earn this respect?  Ask yourself.

Sharon Armstrong
asitapyrs@idmail.com