[PyrNet-L] Fwd: [Fwd: RESCUE, CHAT: Abused dog]

I have been away and did not know if this has been posted....I rec'd it
from a friend on the St Bernard list.

Alison

Note: forwarded message attached.

---- Begin included message ----

---- Begin included message ----
Hi All!
I rec'd a call from a shelter in South FL on 6/10.  They had a very
depressed, owner turn in---a Great Pyrnees. No charge, they wanted him
to recieve the best.  This Shelter was truly a joy to work with---not
beause this was my first freebie from a shelter---but because they
couldn't bear to see this beautiful dog so unhappy.(Thank you, Reik!)

Saint Rescue pulled him for me, and transported him right to my door.
(Thank you to Robin, and Alison!!)  But upon arrival, Hercules took one
look at my cane, and spent the next  three days behind a chair. When I
put him in the crate, he wet himself---and wouldn't come out. Poor baby
was the first Pyr I'd ever seen with submissive urination. I slept that
first two nights on the floor  in front of his open crate---my hands
always touching him. I was crushed--in 20 years I have had dogs that
were abused, frightened-- but none had ever been afraid of me. I feared
for him, how would I help him.  I kept lifting his chin, telling him he
was gorgeous, he should look at people, he was magnificient, that I
would NEVER hurt him!

3rd day: Outside, I called him to me. "Here baby, Here beautiful". He
started to bound in my  direction---then I called him Hercules, (the
name his owners gave when they gave him up). Poor baby! He froze, put
his head down, piddled, and shied away. Needless to say---that is the
last time he was called by that name!!  I searched for a name---Proud,
Confident, Noble name---To give him a new outlook. When I had taken him
to the vet's, he was terrified. Head down, nose to the ground, rolling
his eyes up to look at you. I kept raising his chin, "Look baby, look at
them. You  are a beautiful handsome fellow. Show the world you are
strong."   We were a fit-in, and so had about an hour for this exercise.
"Be proud! Be strong!"

The x-ray of his paw showed an old break, but it didn't appear to be a
natural break. It felt like a scene from a movie, looking at x-rays of
old, untreated fractures.  The kind abused children suffer. I cried, for
it is this paw he offers, when at last he knew he could trust someone
not to hurt him.

 Today his name is Oberon. He is a dog!! Last trip to the vet, he
greeted every person who came in. Head up, proud and confident. All at
the vet's office were  amazed. "Just can't be the same dog!" Oberon, the
brave. Oberon the strong, Oberon who doesn't piddle when you look at
him. Oberon, the Great Pyrenees!!!

Last night we went to a Training class. Many dogs, many people.  Oberon
was so well behaved, greeted all who wished to stroke his lovely coat.
Looked at people, no fear, no trembling.  Let little dogs come sniff and
nudge him.  Oberon, the magnificient.  Oberon the wonderful.  Oberon who
is ready for his new home! joan

Joan Fremo
Coordinator
Pyrangel Rescue Network
Pyrangel@webtv.net

Pyrangel Rescue Network, dedicated to the care and placement of
abandoned and abused Great Pyrenees.

Any email sent through this list is Copyright 1999
        by its original author.

---- End included message ----
---- End included message ----