Re: [PyrNet-L] Obedience school?

>Ok, I understand what you are saying, but what do you do when he bites at
>your legs when you are walking through the house? Or outside?  Those are
>mighty sharp puppy teeth, and my first reaction is to get away, and to tell
>him NO.  Also, when he is chewing or pulling on the table cloth, ok- I can
>see deterring him with a command, but I just am at a loss, then with what
>do when he grabs my pant legs or shoes...
>Any suggestions?
>Merrilie

Ok, Here is one way you can go about it:

First thing to do is to withdraw the reward the pup is getting from this
'game' - Sounds like he may be enjoying the fact that you are moving (he's
chasing), (leaning down to touch and push him away?), talking to him (even
if it is 'no'), ie you may be rewarding him with the attention - in his eyes
you may be joining in the game!

You may want to try this:

Firstly, set yourself up by making sure you carry some treats around with
you in your pocket all the time for as long as this takes, that way you can
reward him at the right moment.

Every time he grabs for your legs, stop, stand still, avoid eye contact
(look away) and do not say anything.  Do not interact with him in any way.
When he sits/steps back and stops biting your leg, count to five slowly
under your breath, if he is still not biting at you praise/pat him (not too
excitedly), reward him with a treat,  then walk on (if he starts biting at
you again before the count is up, continue the 'silent treatment' until he
stops for the whole count of five).

If when you start walking again, he starts biting at you again, stop and do
the same thing again - become an inanimate post!!!  Reward him (again after
at least a count of five) when he stops.

You can also praise and reward him with a treat If he walks along beside
you, but does not jump up at you or bite at you.  The minute he jumps up or
bites at you, 'withdraw' to being a post again (turn and face the wall if it
is close).

You will find that when you start doing this, your pup's biting will
actually get worse for a while.  Don't give in and think it is not working -
this is a natural occurence!  Be very consistent and persistent. You must do
the 'post' every time he bites at you at this point.  What will happen is
that the behaviour will get worse (You may have to stand there for a few
minutes - don't give in), and then, if you persist by doing this every time,
his biting behaviour will taper off very quickly so that he is not doing it
as often or as long each time.  Keep persisting (don't be tempted to stop
too soon) and the behaviour should pretty much disappear.

It is important to be consistent - don't be tempted not to do it 'just this
once' (remember the power of the random reward?) - This exercise may take a
day, a couple of days, or a week etc etc - it just depends on how quickly
your pup catches on! (and how persistent/consistent you are) :-D

Good luck!

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au