Re: [PyrNet-L] dewclaws (this may be messy)

>Assume that double dews are dominate -->    D
>Single dews are recessive                     -->    d
>    Amy, Jeff, Mischief, and Bear

This is the way I figured it too (the reason for the confusion) - I got the
feeling in the beginning that what was being said was that the doubles were
recessive and the singles dominant and I couldn't tie the genetic patterns
that would come from this with what I had seen.  If the double was recessive
it would look something like this I think:

If 'd' is double dewclaws (recessive) and S is sincle dewclaws (dominant,
then:

dd x dd =dd
Sd x dd =Sd or dd
Sd x Sd = SS, dd or Sd
SS x Sd = SS or Sd
SS x SS = SS

SS and Sd would exibit single dewclaws, while dd would exhibit double (again
I have not factored in triples or none etc)

What this basically shows I think is that theoretically, if the double
dewclaw gene was recessive,  there would be no way you could mate two dogs
with double dewclaws and come up with pups with singles.

Appears that the double dewclaw gene is the dominant one then?

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au
http://members.dynamite.com.au/espinay/index.htm