[PyrNet-L] swimming/exercise

That's a great idea Cindy.  Many of the large breed dogs seem to lack muscle
and I've often wondered if this is the reason that a cruciate can rupture so
easily. Muscle is needed to support the frame but so often we are wary to
start exercising our puppies because of the growth problems and they don't
develop enough muscle as youngsters so when they do hoon around as young
adults or have heaps of exercise and road work which they are not used to,
then  these things can happen. A Senior Allbreeds Judge told me years ago
that the best form of building muscle is to start off slowly walking a
youngster on a grass/sand surface and then later on on a harder surface
(road,footpath). No running or jogging but brisk walking. This he said was
how Greyhounds had muscle built up slowly. I often see 5 Greyhounds out
walking with the trainer in the morning and I think back to what I was told.
And yes I did do what he said and noticed a difference in the muscle tone
later on, but the dog was 12months old.
Jan
Jan Chaplin Ariege-Roussillon Pyreneans
visit PMDC Site at http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Zoo/6339/