[PyrNet-L] Breeding

Interesting to read on this side of the world the info on the GPCA and how
it works.  Our wee Club is affiliated to the New Zealand Kennel Club and we
abide by their rules and regs as well as our own constitution. Our
experience years ago was that the then breeding Code of Practice our Club
had in place was being abused by the Breeders therefore it became surplus to
requirements at the time. To sign this code of practice one had to hip
xray/score the Breeding stock, allow 3 (appointed by Club) members to come
and check your property and facilities for Breeding along with a few other
little "stunners". One also had to not run down another Breeder, their stock
etc! One Breeder advertised himself as the "only Club approved Breeder in
NZ" when selling a litter of pups. It sure hit the fan so in the end the
code was scrapped and replaced with Guidelines for Club Member Breeders.
Recently another Club has been set up here for Pyr owners who were obviously
disgruntled with the PMDC. They have a Breeding Code of Practice to which I
have not yet seen but hip-xraying and  scoring Breeding Stock does not
appear to be the norm nor does assisting with the rehousing/rescue of your
own breeding. No that was left to the PMDC to deal with financially so where
are the "ethics" in that I wonder. We cannot choose to ignore Pyrs in
distress but have no "control" so to speak over the Breeder and make them
accountable. Just go form another Club!!
Jan
Jan Chaplin Ariege-Roussillon Pyreneans
Visit my site at http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Zoo/1920/
Visit PMDC Site at http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Zoo/6339/