[PyrNet-L] GPCA Membership

Had to change the subject from "Breeding".  As  an old timere and past GPCA Board
Member, thought I would try to give some background on the rules for becoming a
member of the Great Pyrenees Club of America.  Whether or not membership should
be for everyone or only the serious breeders has been an arguement ever since we
first joined the GPCA in 1970. (at that time it was almost impossible to join,
but we got in because we were friends of the Stombaughs).

One thing that muist be remembered is that the GPCA is the "Parent Club" of the
breed in the U.S. and any changes made to the AKC Official Standard of the Breed
are made and voted on by GPCA members. GPCA members vote on the committee to
review the materials for educating Great Pyrenees judges and any other important
issue regarding Great Pyrenees.  Members who are in favor of making membership
difficult to obtain, argue that only serious and informed Great Pyrenees owners
and breeders are able to make decisions on these matters. Some National breed
clubs have much more stringent rules.  I think the Great Danes require that an
applicant has owned and shown dogs for a certain amount of time and has bred a
number of litters before applying.  They believe that the place for newcomers to
learn about the breed (and meet GPCA members who can sponsor them) is by joining
one of the 24 GPCA Affiliated Regional Clubs.  Most regional clubs welcome any
member interested in Great Pyrenees..  It is the regional clubs that have monthly
or bi-monthly meetings where new owners can get hands-on training in grooming,
health problems in the breed, therapy work, carting, etc. It is through the
regional clubs that new owners can meet mentors who can help them with any
problems they may have.  We belong to two regional clubs and have learned so much
from friends we have made in these clubs. Regional clubs do vary according to the
interests of their members (our Club has been at various times primarily pet
owners, primarily people interested in obedience and primarily people interested
in showing).  Most clubs have a mixture of  interests. It is the  regional clubs
where the the  major work of passing along information and hands-on training
about the breed goes one.  The important job of  rescuing and finding new homes
for homeless Pyrs is done primarily through regional clubs.

As to club activities for people who are not interested in showing or breeding,
the GPCA has come a long way in this department.  Members of the GPCA and any of
the GPCA affiliated clubs may earn three levels of Versatility Awards by
completing a number of different activites such as hiking or backpack with dogs,
puplic education activities, therapy work, carting, obedience work etc. etc.  The
GPCA now has Carting Degrees.  Awards are also giving for obedience competition.
As to the yearly National Specialty, this really is the once-a-year showcase for
breeders and the time when all the various committees of the GPCA (Health,
Affiliated Club Reps, Rescue Reps, etc.) are able to get together.  There really
is not a lot of additional time left in the 3-4 days for other activities,
although when we hosted the National in 1997 we did have CGC and therapy testing
and a carting demonstration.  Usually, however, there is much more time to do
these things in the regional clubs meetings.  All of the regional clubs have
newsletters and usually will report on important issues.  Many Pyr owners
subscribe to many regional club newsletters.  Besides this, as Darrell said,
anyone can subscribe to the GPCA Bulletin without being a member.  Considering
the number of times the rules for GPCA membership have changed......I wouldn't be
a bit suprised if they change again.

Charlotte Perry (sorry for rambling on but who wants to go outside in the 102
degree weather!  We are running 4 fans in our kennel building and the rest of
the dogs are in the air conditioned basement!)
Virginia, USA