Re(2): [PyrNet-L] luxating patella

Paddington had that problem as a puppy, and we were advised that it was
"moderate to severe" and we went ahead and had surgery. He recovered
quickly, despite the amount of reconstruction that was needed, and the
joint has been stable since (he had the surgery at 7 months and is now 6
years old). His leg turns out some, and the foot is smaller than on his
other rear leg, and after strenuous exercise he is a bit stiff, but he is
active and happy, loves to play with Ivy and go for walks. He is
developing a bit of arthritis in the joint. At our vet's recommendation,
we have had him on a glucosomine/chondroitin sulfate product for the past
4-5 years--currently we're using Synovi-Cre, available from KV Vet more
inexpensively than others and the mix really seems to be helping.Other
than that, a little buffered aspirin before and after strenuous exercise
keeps him happy.
The breeder didn't repeat this breeding, as two of the 5 pups had luxating
patellas, the other poor little guy in both rear legs.
I guess the first thing is to determine just how severe the problem is.
Our Xrays indicated that the joint would continue to be quite unstable
without surgical repair, but I'd get good advice, maybe several opinions,
before making a decision.
Hope this is helpful.
Ann, Peg, Paddington and Ivy Rose