[PyrNet-L] HEALTH, CHAT: Clondike "Completely Normal?????"

Clondike is an 11 year, 8 month-old Pyr bitch who has been undergoing
chemotherapy for 13 months for lymphoma.  She is currently 7 weeks into
remission number 3.

Since her last round of chemo (only two treatments) she has had two bouts
of diarrhea.  This has been frustrating for our vet who wants to
understand what's going on in Clondike's gut.  She currently has Clondike
on Amoxicillin (actually just finished a course), Flagyl and Pepto Bismol.
The oncologist and the holistic vet have both said this is probably the
best regimen for now.

The oncologist also wanted to do an abdominal ultrasound exam to rule out
any unexpected spread of the cancer.  The other 2 vets were skeptical of
the need, but it's only money, right?  I told the ultrasouind technician
we'd be in trouble if Clondike is able to attend the Penn-Dutch Fun Day at
the end of July because all the other Pyrs would want to shave their
tummies to match hers (she is such a trend setter).

When the oncologist reported on the results of the ultrasound, she said
"Clondike's completely normal," which is probably the first time in her
life that the words "completely normal" have been used in a sentence with
"Clondike."  The oncologist went on to say we probably have a "colitis
type thing" going on (don't you love this medical lingo) and she
prescribed a bland diet.

Clondike is a little fussy about what she will eat (which is a totally new
experience for Nancy and I--but we are adjusting), so the fridge is full
of steak and the basement is full of different dog foods and dog treats.
Still, when she eats, she is still able to gain weight, and she is
hovering around 92 pounds, only down a little from her pre-chemo weight of
95.

And Clondike remains playful.  Just last night she chased me around the
living room and we played "kill the ChewBear."  Her hind end slips out
from under her sometimes, but she really enjoys it.

In other Clondike news, there's the story of Clondike and the new vet.
Willow Creek Animal Hospital has several new vets coming into the practice
this summer and they each understudy Dr. Sammons or another of the senior
partners. A young woman named Dr. MacLeod was assisting Dr. Sammons 2 weeks
ago when Clondike needed her anal sacs packed (chemo lowers the resistance
to infection).  This is Clondike's absolute least favorite procedure and
she has been known to buck hefty vet techs around like feathers.  Since
Dr. MacLeod is a very slender young woman, she was treated to quite a wild
ride.

At the end of the appointment I appologized to Dr. MacLeod for the
incident and asked how long she had been in Reading.  She said that this
was her first night seeing patients.  Now Clondike had been straining at
the leash ready to bolt out the door, but just as Dr. MacLeod said this
she stopped, turned around, and gave the doc "the look," clearly saying
that she expects to be attended ONLY by experienced veterinary personnel.

Dr. MacLeod picked up on this right away and said something like "I really
do have a diploma."  I think she's going to fit right in with the zany
crew at Willow Creek!

In 2 weeks our next oncology checkup will be a nerve wracking one because
we will be at 9 weeks post-chemo, 75% of the 12 weeks that the last
remission held for.  Thoughts and prayers would be appreciated, as I'm not
sure how much more chemo Clondike can tolerate.

I'll keep you posted.

David
 David Kintsfather              | PHONE:       (610) 683-4497
 Dept. of Telecommunications    | FAX:         (610) 683-4659
 Kutztown University            | INTERNET:    kintsfat@kutztown.edu
 PO Box 730                     |   "We need not think alike to love alike."
 Kutztown, PA  19530-0730       |                Francis David