Re: [PyrNet-L] What happened

So sorry to hear about Amazing Grace.  I agree with Susan that dogs grieve and do understand death.  They get very depressed at the loss of their dog AND human friends....looking around and trying to find whoever it may be that is gone.  Isn't it nice to know they DO have real thoughts and feeling.  What sweet hearts they are!!                   Joy and Maggie McCarron
----- Original Message -----
From: Gitano Road
To: PYRNET-L
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 1999 4:53 PM
Subject: [PyrNet-L] What happened

This past Monday we lost one of our Scottish Terriers, Amazing Grace suddenly.
Well I would like to share with you what effect this loss had on JOY.
JOY had been pacing the house looking for Grace. And there was no way I could convince her that Grace was gone. On Wednesday we brought Grace home in her little urn. It had a lovely red plaid bow tied on it with her name. I set her on the mantle. JOY was by this time getting a bit worse due to the pacing and such. She was lo0king everywhere. So a few nights ago I took the urn down and opened it. Setting it on the floor where it could not be turned over. I hid and watched as JOY approached. Her tail began to wag then the closer she got she was able to sniff it. Somehow she KNEW it was Grace. She began to make this sort of whine/whimper noise. Her tail never stopped wagging-it then went into a full bum wag and then the whole body wag. She laid down beside the urn-curling her body and tail aound it. All the time wagging her tail. Grace would sleep with her from time to time so this was the way they would sleep. JOY curled around her and Grace nestled in the middle. JOY's tail wrapped around them both. She went into a deep sleep in that position. I picked up the urn-re-sealed it and replaced it on the mantle. When she woke up I showed her where it was and she is now ok. Happy-pouncy and prancy but I have noticed that she will stop playing sometimes and look at the urn very steadily for a few seconds. Then off to play again. If anyone doesnt believe a dog will grieve-come to my house and watch the miracle.
I WANT TO BE IN THE COMPANY OF MY DOGS!
Gitano Road Rescue & Rehabilitation Sanctuary> > >
Helping the SILENT ONES - one paw at a time
http://www.vvm.com/~petmydog
CUR#465