[PyrNet-L] Re: What happened

Susan Wachter wrote:

>  I know animal grieve and I think they understand death-to some
> extent.
>
>      -
>        When she woke up I showed her where it was and she is now
>      ok. Happy-pouncy and prancy but I have noticed that she will
>      stop playing sometimes and look at the urn very steadily for
>      a few seconds. Then off to play again. If anyone doesnt
>      believe a dog will grieve-come to my house and watch the
>      miracle.

    Hello,
    Thank you both so much. I am sorry for your loss  and thank God for
you and the way you handled the urn.
It was both sad & beautiful to read.
    Tess my beloved 1st pyr died at home in front of Nana, her daughter
and Jonah. They watched with curiosity. Sniffed Tess's dead body. We
left her uncovered in a body bag for a half hour. I cried & cried! Nana,
Jonah & my 2 cat's all sniffed her. They all had their chance to say
good-bye. Jonah was a pup, but, still remembers Tess's name & looks
around to see if she's come back. I did the same thing with my cat,
Munchkin this year. They all seem to understand death. They all seemed
to accept it better than human's usually do.
    Nana had to die at the vets. I had her cremated rather than buried.(
All my other dead animals are buried together near the front of our
house, across the driveway in a pet cemetery.
    Jonah knew Nana longer than a year. Nana died 2 years ago this
coming Oct. 10th. Lexi barely knew her at all. She was a very young
puppy when Nana had to die. She was old & incontinent, & in pain. But,
still had that stoic pyr attitude about her.
    Jonah grieved Nana's ashes too. He cried,  whimpered a little and
barked  low bark's of objection. He pawed at the urn. He looked for her
for days and was unhappy.
    Luckily, Lexington wouldn't let him be too sad for too long. She got
him into play and they became whirling dervishes together, pretty
quickly.  <VBG>. When Nana is mentioned, still, Jonah will jump up and
pace and prance around to look for her. I think that he knows that she
won't really be there, but, through his deep love and memory of her, I
think that he just *has* to try anyway. Out of loyalty I believe.
    When I know a precious pyr of mine will not be long on this earth, I
have found comfort in always acquiring a new pyr puppy.
    The dying ones seem to accept & enjoy their antic's, ( when the
puppy is not bothering them). The puppy gets to learn from the wise,
sick, older one and I have a much easier time with the death of my very
great, Great Pyrenees.
    Yours in pyr spirit,
    Judith, Jonah & Lexington