Re: [PyrNet-L] 1st annual Poodle Parade-Taos

On 20 Sep 99, at 0:39, Susan Wachter wrote:

> Geez, not even a pink bow in each ear for Rita?  Or a rhinestone collar
> for Kazak? Wouldn't Sam my Man make a great poodle!!??

Yes,  Sam our boy would have had a great time, maybe next year you
can come up for the parade. Now for the real story.  Kazak and Rita
did start out with some clip bows, pink for Rita and royal blue for
Kazak.  They kept falling off because their coat was so clean and I
had used cream rinse.  They were also coupled and the coupler would
knock the head bows off.  The owner of the goat asked someone to hold
her while he signed in, the goat immediately had her head and horns
in between that person's legs.  The Rottie wanted to kill the goat,
in fact was quite furious about a goat attending.  One of the
balloons at the sign in desk popped and Rita went into orbit, but
settled nicely once I gave them some obedience commands. There are no
dog clubs in Taos so this event was attended by folks that just have
dogs and don't really know dog protocol.  Two standard poodles got
into a fight, poodles mind you.  Those of us who are used to these
type of functions just stood back and watched the melee.  Once the
actual parade started the dogs were all well behaved.  The organizers
did provide info, a doggie bag, a list of rules <all dogs on lead at
all times> and did get a parade permit. All the participants received
a certificate and a dog biscuit.  Even had some men stopping traffic
as we crossed the main drag, which was not problem, as Taos only has
one little 2-way street through downtown and the traffic is usually
stalled anyway <g>.

In all it was a fun event and will get better as it grows.  I was
really pleased to see an event in town that promotes dogs and it's a
tiny step in educating the community.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico