[PyrNet-L] Fun with my Pyr

Hi,

   I wanted to share.  I had so much fun today, and
got to see what my 10 month old, pyr, Jake was really
capable of.
   I'm starting to hike with him.  I'm hoping to be
ready for my first ever over-night hike in about a
year.  Jake and I have done some short hikes about a
mile.
   Today we drove down to southern Oklahoma and
decided to see what we could do.  I put Jake in his
backpack, loaded with water for both of us it weighed
10-15 pounds.  Jake easily hiked nearly 4 miles on
level ground.
   Just for fun I decided to go over to another park
and see the water fall.  There is an old castle, built
in the 1930's on the design of European castles.  It
sits on the side of a mountain (that is Oklahoma's
idea of mountains) and is mostly in ruins.  I'm pretty
afraid of heights but decided to try it.  We hiked to
the top.
   Jake was amazing.  He handled the steep steps
carrying his back with the sure-footness of a goat.
When we got to the area past the step and had to climb
up a fairly steep incline, Jake just bounced right up.
   The best was the trip down.  I was terrified.
Going down is always harder for me then up.  I sat
down on my bottom to scoot down the narrow steps.
Jake walked in front of me, and seem to know
instintively what I needed.  He'd walk three or four
steps and let me scoot down to him.  Then I'd say go
and he'd do three or four more.   He could have yanked
me down the stairs because of park rules I had to have
hold of his leash. Instead, he was extra careful.
   It was amazing to see his strength in doing all
that hiking, especially with his pack, his agility on
that mountain, and his gentleness with me.
    It was wonderful to be working so closely with him
to get me down off that mountain.  I was by myself,
and really scared.  Without Jake in front of me so I
knew I wouldn't fall I think I'd of had to wait for a
park ranger to get me down.
     Anyway, it was a neat experience and I can't wait
to hike some more with Jake, maybe I'll even get a
little braver about heights.
                     Brandy

=====
"Bluebonnets" by Julia D. Booth
Offical Flower Song of the State of Texas
Chorus:
Bluebonnets, blue lovely Bluebonnets,
More beautiful than all the rest.
Texas chose you for her flower,