Re: [PyrNet-L] chewing off fur

On 27 Oct 99, at 21:22, Jack & Charlotte Perry wrote:
> I usually recommend lamb & rice diet to people too.  However, several years ago
> we put all our dogs on lamb and rice diet.  They really liked it, but after 6-8
> months we realized that they were all quite thin and none had the coat they had
> had before.  One day while sitting around the Vets waiting room, I got into a
> conversation with a group of show people with other breeds.  They claimed that
> none of their dogs had good coat on lamb and rice food.  They seemed to feel it
> was because there was not enough fat.  Our dogs seem to do a lot better on a
> chicken food and the allergic ones on a chicken and rice food.......and still I
> continue to look for better foods....seems like no sooner do we find one we
> like, when they change the formula.  Guess dogs can differ as much as people.

Almost always will have better coats and skin on chicken and beef
foods and if I remember my literature right it's the fatty acids as
chicken and beef are better sources.  Nowadays, fatty acids are
added in and it's usually on the bag what's the percentage even
with lamb and rice dog foods.

I usually stay with a turkey/chicken based food.  I've found mine
have done best on what are now called human-grade ingredient dog
foods.  I have a tendency to think that there is just too much other
junk in a lot of dog foods that because of labeling requirements you
just don't know it's there.

Janice, janices@jump.net
Linsey (newf), Bianca & Sonny (pyrs)
http://www.jump.net/~janices/