Re: [PyrNet-L] chewing off fur

<< There are several shampoos available through your vet that can help with
hot
 spots. I have a Brittany who has awful skin. One that has worked well for me
 is Chlorhexiderm Maximum 4% >>

This past summer, two of our pyrs developed skin conditions.  The vet said
they were both due to bacterial infections.  Tanuki has cleared up nicely --
his coat and skin are doing nicely now.  Zoe had seemed to be fine, until the
trip to California.  While out there, she started to scratch and chew
herself, especially on the backs of her legs.  The climate was dry,
especially when compared to the climate here in South Carolina, and at first
we attributed it to that.  Zoe seemed to scratch first thing in the morning,
and then just before going to bed.  David sprayed the motorhome for fleas,
and every evening when we stopped on the way home, I would give her a
thorough brushing and spray her legs and stomach with an "anti-itch" spray
(it was from Hertz, but I can't remember what the name is).  This did seem to
help her.

Well, we arrived back home, and after a week she's still scratching and
chewing.  David took her in to our vet on Friday, and it seems she has the
bacterial infection back.  She's on pills (email me if you want to know what
all she was given; they're at home and I'm at work) and the irritation does
seem to be lessening.  David spoke to the vet about the cause.  He thinks
that will all the traveling, Zoe got stressed, which lowered her immune
system, which caused her to be more suseptable to the bacterial infection.
She didn't have fleas -- at least they didn't see any or any signs of them.
With regards to bathing, we had been using the same shampoo as you.  However,
the vet recommended using this constantly, as in his experience, the
bacterial soon becomes immuned to it and then you have a bigger problem.  He
felt that the best thing to do was to treat the symptoms -- keep her from
scratching -- and let the bacteria run its course.  He did feel that as she
matures (she's 17 months right now) that she would become resistant to these
infections.  We hope so!

Robyn
dancingpyr@aol.com
Taylors, South Carolina