Re: [PyrNet-L] tracking and search and rescue

bluebonnet_72@yahoo.com writes:
>Jake is just never going to behave that way.  He
>knew what they wanted him to do, he just didn't get in
>a big hurry about anything.  I pick my pyrs, for their
>calm temperments.

I laughed at the visual image I had of Jake, Brandy...so much like
Paddington! Now Ivy Rose, on the other hand, will come flying if she
thinks I have something in my hand--as long as we're at home and there's
no one around she doesn't know well. I used to train Paddington at a site
where there'd be a couple of other folks working, usually with labs and
goldens, and it would be so funny to see the contrast. Paddington would
kind of heave a sight, lumber to his feet and plod over to where I asked
him to go (more or less), then slowly, very slowly, sit or lie down or
whatever. It made no difference at all whether I had a treat in my hand or
not--he knew he'd get it eventually, and if he didn't, so what? Another
thing I appreciate about pyrs is their attitude toward food! Part of what
makes them such splendid therapy dogs--they don't tend to snatch treats.
Paddy kind of opens his mouth and waits for me to drop the cookie in, and
you wouldn't know that Ivy has teeth.
So yes, I'd go the therapy dog routine!
Ann, Peg, Paddington and Ivy Rose