[PyrNet-L] pinch collars and love

First let me say that the amount of time I spend with my dog is determined
by economic (I have to have a job) and other social (I also have human
obligations) factors rather than by how much I love my dog. That said I have
two points to make:

First, any training entails changing a natural behavior into an unnatural
one.  The dog wants to chase prey.  It is natural for any animal (human
included) to pull toward an object of desire, any object of desire.  Dogs
are natural social climbers.  They want to be alpha.  They want to be in
charge.  We want them to walk beside us (in most circumstances - a romp in
the park not being normal circumstances), we want to walk without having to
dig in our heels or go flying.  We want them to sit at our side when we
stop.  We want them to not go dashing across the street without looking.  We
want them to come when we call, even if that damn squirrel is taunting them.
These are unnatural actions and we must alter their actions by causing them
to stop before doing what comes very naturally to them.  If you have the
time and the dog has the temperament that this can be done using entirely
positive actions I am in favor or it.  I use entirely positive reinforcement
whenever possible.  Belle was taught sit and down by luring into position
with a treat and lavish praise.  But Belle is 7 months old and Belle weighs
50-60#.  Belle is starting to pull like a freight train.  Belle is being
fitted for a pinch collar this weekend.

This brings up my second point.  Please notice that I called the device a
pinch collar, not a prong collar.  This is specifically to focus on the
effect not the form of the collar.  Properly fitted, the pinch collar does
not "poke into the neck".  Due to the limited amount of closure possible,
and the pulling action at the back, the collar tends to fold at the front
rather than tighten down.  This results in the skin being pinched, not
punctured.  As was very accurately stated, the dog does it to himself, and
can stop it when he chooses.  And it stops instantly when he chooses so
there is no timing error.

As far as the shock collar, dogs may have more fluid in their bodies (I
don't know), but they also have much tougher skins.  I don't use shock
collars.  I don't particularly like them, but I can see that they do have
the advantage of allowing the dog more freedom.  I do not feel that using a
shock collar at a level that I would use on myself is abusive.  I think that
so long as the owner is careful with timing (ask the click trainers - timing
is everything) it can be a very useful training device.

I do not view either of these devices as life sentences.  They are training
devices.  They are used to train the dog not to pull (chase, jump the
neighbors, whatever) then they are retired until needed for retraining or
refresher.

Jack (the long-winded) Mowery and
Belle (but I WANT to chase the cat) of the Amarillo Mountains