Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: pinch and electric collars

--- > Who said anything about 'cajoling'?  We are
talking> about operant
> conditioning and positive reinforcement.  A very
> well tested scientific
> theory.  Here is a link which will explain the
> theory a little better:

    Perhaps, bribing is a better word.  Not that I
have any problem with bribing my dog.  I do it all the
time. In fact, rewards, are always my first approach
to teach anything new.
   However, what you are describing is a behavior
modification without the negative reinforcements and
punsihments.  You may be using some punsihments such
as withdrawl of attention.  This is based on part of
behavior modification theory.  I think you need the
whole variety of possiblities.
    All of these suggestions that the dog will do
everything based on positives have certainly not
worked with my dogs.  I always start with positive.
We use random reinforcements etc.  However, when Jake
decides that the cat down the road is more intresting
the the treat in my hand, and when he is much stronger
then I am, something has to stop him from going
barreling down the road after the cat!  Loving my dog
means protecting him, and in order to protect him he
must be under control.  There have been times when
controlling Jake with only positive (which by the way
in terms of behavioral sciene positive techniques
increase a behavior and that is not what you are
trying to do) methods will not and have not worked.

>                Brandy

=====
"Bluebonnets" by Julia D. Booth
Offical Flower Song of the State of Texas
Chorus:
Bluebonnets, blue lovely Bluebonnets,
More beautiful than all the rest.
Texas chose you for her flower,