Re: [PyrNet-L] Leashes in mouths

In a message dated 11/6/99 10:36:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bamb@monmouth.com writes:

<< I've always been told that the leash is an extension of your arm. When
 they bite the leash they are biting you. >>

    Hi Barb, I agree with you that they shouldn't bite the leash, I also
think of it as an extension of your arm. Kim used to bite my hip when
healing, I was told to let her to keep her motivated. I did, but have never
let another one do that. I have since learned other ways to keep them
motivated. I am taking an attention class with Ember right now and it is
great, I have learned that dogs will read your body language and play off of
it. After just two classes (so far), I can't believe the attention I have on
her. It is done through positive training methods. I do teach beginners obed
and basic 2 at our club and biting the leash is one of the most common
problems, mostly with Labs, I discourage it and try to get those dogs
interested in treats over their leash. With my Border Collie all it takes is
a no-no bad dog and he will stop that behavior. Pyrs on the other hand, I
have to come up with a more inventive way. I try to train all my dogs with
positive methods first. On another note Kelly is doing fine and we are going
to take your advice about the blood test after the next treatment. Thanks for
the advice! I hope to here from you all soon. I love the
list...........Debbie