[PyrNet-L] Re: dew claws

Do not have them removed.  This, from someone whose vet said to remove the
dew claws and who didn't know any better (five years ago) so went ahead
because she had no plans on showing the dog so what was the big deal.  Well
the big deal is:  (1) it is major surgery for a pyr to have the dews removed,
resulting in great pain while it heals (this isn't your "snip snip"
operation), costs more, even in the course of doing other surgery such as
spaying because they are under the anethesia longer, and is totally
unnecessary, so why run the risk of complications and provide your pyr with
extra pain.  We had it done during the spaying procedure on my two year old
female and while there were no complications, she was clearly uncomfortable
and to this day does not like you touching back there.  Plus, the dew claws
are one thing that make a pyr a pyr.  The more you are around pyrs, the more
you are "proud" of those dew claws even though they are a bit of a pain to
take care of.   I totally regret I had it done and now try to talk everyone
out of it.  If I had it to do all over again, there is no way I would put my
sweetie through that.  Plus -- I have yet to hear a good reason for doing it.
 It's just something they are taught in vet school.

Elisa