Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.19991110/dewclaws Vets and Breeders too!

   My first pyr had his dew claws removed very early.
In fact, in  reading about pyr's later, I couldn't
figure out what dew claws were.  I kept looking at
Spooky's feet and not seeing anything.  When I finally
saw what they were suppose to look like, I checked
Spooky's feet again and saw the scars.  Spooky never
had a problem with me handling his feet, and the area
was never tender.
   I have since learned that some breeders remove them
on very young puppies.  I was told it was done for
dogs going into working environments to prevent
tearing.  While for companion dogs it doesn't seem
necessary, and for show dogs it is unacceptable, does
the same apply for working dogs?  If there is a
genuine risk of tearing, a surgical amputation while
the bone is still very soft might be a better option.
On the other hand, I don't know how likely tearing of
the dew claws would be for a working dog.
                  Brandy

=====
"Bluebonnets" by Julia D. Booth
Offical Flower Song of the State of Texas
Chorus:
Bluebonnets, blue lovely Bluebonnets,
More beautiful than all the rest.
Texas chose you for her flower,