Re(2): [PyrNet-L] Hurry up- it's cold......

jstathis@andover.edu writes:
>My friend with the P.B. pig rescue puts all the
>>piggies up, and spreads inexpensive laundry soap on the yard ( as if you
>>were spreading fertilizer ) and then hoses the yard down till it is soapy
>>and bubbly.  Then lets it dry out.  Supposedly it helps with all the
>>piggy smells.
The "inexpensive" might be the clue here. In my experience, the products
that are really "environmentally friendly" are not inexpensive! We do buy
Seventh Generation of Enviro products because they contain no chemicals,
are not tested on animals, and are generally less toxic. In terms of
deterring animals, there's a cleaner called Citrasolv, citrus based as the
name suggests, that works for us, at least for Paddington. If I use it on
a mark on the rug, he generally won't go near it, makes a wide circle
around it, for a long time! I don't know if it works outside. Nothing
works for Ivy Rose--even hot red pepper.
"Organic Gardening" magazine recommends a mix of mild detergent as a
treatment for aphids--a liquid though, and you probably need to take care
that it's phosphate-free etc.
Ann, Peg, paddington and ivy Rose