Re: [PyrNet-L] The elderly and their pets

In a message dated 11/19/99 12:44:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bamb@monmouth.com writes:

<< I have a friend who moved to an adult community. You were allowed to
 bring your pet but not replace it if it died. They have since changed
 that rule. >>

    Hi Barb, What a wonderful idea, I wish more nursing homes could follow a
program like that! On the whole, we have found nursing homes around here, not
very open to idea's. My husband Charlie, remodels nursing home and is
sometimes, happy with the care the people are getting, but quite often find
that the people aren't even watched. A lot of the time they will be right in
the middle of his work, and the staff has no idea where they are. I cannot
imagine if they also had pets to deal with too, I guess it just depends on
the nursing home. I just wish the quality of care was a lot better in some of
them. Until then, I guess these people will have to get their pet fix with
the people who bring their therapy pets in. Our dog training club has a group
of therapy dogs that go and do tricks and obedience for the people, it is
wonderful. My dog Conner loves to just go up to someone, and lay his head in
their lap, I take him to private homes a lot for the people who used to have
pets but can no longer have them. It is so sweet that at some places they
have him his own water bowl and insist that they get his water for him. It
does not matter that I bring a bowl and water for him, it is just something
special. Conner never has turned down a drink of water from any one of these
people, and I know most of the time he is not thirsty. How do they know?
 Debbie and the Pyr gang