[PyrNet-L] CHAT: (No IW) Midnight is gone - delete if you have no interest

We lost our little 14 1/2 year old poodle/sheltie mix this morning at
5:00 AM and it was most likely my fault.  Yesterday morning I made a
mistake and gave him his twin brother's medicine as well as his own.
The on call vet thought he would be fine.  I was awakened this morning
(less than 24 hours after the error) by Ciaran & Anais looking intently
into the kitchen & trying to open the gate.  Midnight did not respond to
my calls & his eyes seemed glazed.  I called my son (Midnight was his
dog) and Midnight seemed to be having a seizure.  We called the
emergency vet & raced him over, but I think he was gone before we had
him in the car.  Both he & his brother had been diagnosed with
congestive heart failure a year or two ago, but his brother's was much
worse.  His brother & "best bud" will miss him terribly & so will I.

Midnight was a beautiful little black dog with a long silky coat.  He
was our "designated barker."  No need for any of the others to bark with
him on the job (of course, Anais didn't let that stop her.)  He didn't
trust people he didn't know and wanted them to stay in one place, but
was very loving to anyone he had gotten to know & trust.  He put up a
big fierce show, bared his teeth & growled & even snapped, but never
really closed his teeth.   Anais (Pyr) caught on to this right away and
made a game of teasing him (by smacking him with her paw) to get him to
chase her.  Ciaran (IW) viewed his posturing as a real threat resulting
in having to keep them separate after their first fight.  Too bad.

Everyone is quieter than usual this evening.  I think we're all going to
miss him a lot!

I wish I could believe that it was just his time to go, but I know that
my mistake hurried it along.

If you want, join me in a toast to him tonight.

Thanks for listening, whoever got this far.

Stephanie, Ciaran, Anais & Smedley