[PyrNet-L] Giant Breed?

Around 65kilos for one of mine and was 31" at shoulder. Actually still is
but lighter these days at 10 years. A very thick, dense straight coat added
extra weight too I am sure.  Not a cumbersome Pyr either and both his
Grandsires came from Canada and a greatgrandam from USA. I have had USA
visitors here think our Pyrs were tall but to me they are of an average
height for what I have owned and bred. Saint Bernards here are BIG in body
weight and bone and a bitch I look after weighed 85kilos in her top winning
show career days. My Pyrs would never be that heavy nor have that body
weight either. This is not a heavy, cloddy Breed, this is an elegant Breed
able to move when required with bursts of speed .I think size in different
countries may well depend on where your bloodlines come from. I recently saw
a UK Import on video in Australia. He had a massive coat compared to what I
am used too but for the climate in his home country that may well be the
norm? Having seen Pyrs many times in Australia I feel that sizewise they are
on a par with NZ not forgetting that many of our bloodlines come from there.
I saw Pyreneans in 1995 in Holland with huge winter coats ready to blow.
Our winters don't seem to be cold enough to encourage those huge coats.
Coats also add to bulk and size. Paintings of dogs are usually reliant on
the artist's eye and interpretation of the dog they are painting. Did the
Estat brothers look as good in real life as they do in the lovely picture on
my wall? A most handsome pair.  The max weight for a healthy adult dog?
Maybe more important is "can I still feel the ribs and backbone when my dog
is in full coat". If the answer is yes then that's healthy.  If the answer
is no, then the dog is overweight and that is not healthy.
Keep them lean when young to minimise joint problems, added weight should
come with maturity.
Jan
Jan Chaplin Ariege-Roussillon Pyreneans. Visit my sites at
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Zoo/1920/Christmaspage.html and
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Zoo/1920/Index.html and
http://homepages.msn.com/PetsPl/pyreneanmountaindog/ and my latest Site
http://homepages.msn.com/HobbyCt/postcardcollections/