Re[2]: [PyrNet-L] US Height Stats

Additional Header Information:
From: clhenke@juno.com
To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 12:34:57 -0600
Subject: Re: [PyrNet-L] US Height Stats
Sender: owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org

---------------------------------

     Aha, so just balance a ruler across their shoulders and run the tape
     measure up to it.  Sounds easy enough if you can get them to stop trying to
     watch what you are doing.

     Thanks for the lesson.

Author:  pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org (clhenke@juno.com) at OSF
Date:    12/6/1999 6:34 PM

Robyn, and Steven.   Wickets are probably exactly what you are
thinking
they are.  Just like in crochet, they are bent wires measured to
heights
in inches, and slipped over the dog at the withers ( shoulders )and
seen
at shows.  I have seen more small dogs measured, usually when one questions
height, minimums or maximums.  However I have not seen them used much anymore,
and really think they need to be used more on large
giant breeds as there are a lot of dogs not making minimums.

Easiest way to measure Steve is to lay something flat over the dogs shoulders,
and run a tape or yardstick up to it.  Usually you will
need
some help to make sure they are standing straight and tall with good
head
set to make it more accurate.  It can be a touch dicey till the dog
gets
used to what you are doing.  I'm sure you can buy wickets from some
dog
supply, or bend  wires to certain heights, or have an adjustable drop
bar
on two re- bar with inches measured off.  But I think that is overkill unless
your really into measuring a lot!  Hope this helps, and there
are
some variations on the same theme.
:-)   Cindy.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

"All knowledge, the totality of all questions and answers, is
contained
in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka