[PyrNet-L] Re: first country for 2000

In a message dated 12/9/99 8:52:31 PM Pacific Standard Time,
pyrnet-l-owner@pyrnet.org writes:

<< What is the first country to get the new year 2000?  I know which state =
 and city  in the USA gets it first, but which country?  My daughter =
 needs this for a contest......... :)=20

The first country is Antartica -- there was just an article in the paper on
this very question, that now I can't find.  In any event, the real question
is which populated country is the first.  New Zealand is one, but various
others have their supporters for various reasons.  You might try surfing
www.sacbee.com for the article that I think appeared on Wed. the 8th in the
scene section.

Elisa