[PyrNet-L]Our Pyrfect hero

I'm pretty much of a lurker to the list but had something recently happened
that I thought I would share.  My ten year old daughter and her friend went
for a walk around the block yesterday.  They had only been gone about five
minutes when my 2 year old male Pyr, who barks only when warranted (unlike my
female) started barking incessently in the yard.  I went outside to see what
the fuss was all about, normally he comes immediately when I call him to come
in, not this time however.  I follwed his barks to the far side of our two
acre yard and watched in amazement as he leaped over our five foot fence.
Perhaps this is not a feat that should be seen as unusual , but for Darby,
who has two very bad hips it most certainly was.  He had never ever tried to
get out of the yard before, much less even jump up.  I rushed out the yard
behind him chasing him to the next house down the street.  And there was my
daughter along with her friend pinned up against a tree with an overly
aggressive Akita growling snarling and lunging toward them. They were crying
in fear, they were absolutely petrified.  Needless to say Darby beat me there
first, I bent down to pick up a stick to ward the dog off but there was no
need for that.  Darby, poised as I had never seen him before in his two years
stood directly in front of the Akita, enabling my daughter and her friend to
run to me. It was almost as if he wanted it to end right there, but as my
daughter ran to me the Akita lunged for her and then Darby jumped on top of
the not so smart dog and let him know how stupid it was to pick on a little
kid  ecspecially one who owned a Pyr.  He was absolutely magnificent, he
pinned the dog down and never even once had to actually bite him.  The other
dog became submissive immediately, got up and ran toward his owner.  With
that Darby very nonchalantly followed us home almost prancing, head held
high, knowing he did the right thing.  As far as the Akita owners go, I went
to talk to them later that night when I cooled off and they said that the dog
had never gone through their electric fencing before and they did apologize
but then said that perhaps when the two girls walked by their house (in the
street, not on their property) that the dog saw them as a threat because he
is very territorial.  So after hearing this I know now when my daughter goes
for a walk around the block again, I will be with her along with her 115
pound guardian angel Pyr.

Sue