Re: [PyrNet-L] SAS- Threat to Pyrs?

In a message dated 12/17/99 8:34:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Kshoffman@aol.com writes:

<< We were discussing this
 on the other Pyr list, and the possibility of at least some breeders with
 high risk lines starting to screen for the condition in breeding stock and
 puppies.  >>

<<Mildly
affected animals may even go undetected without symptoms, and thus, this may
be how the condition is spread throughout the gene pool.  It is generally
detected initially via an audible heart murmer, and then more precisely
confirmed diagnosis via dopplar echocariography (sonography.)  Some of the
"mild" cases may not even have an audible murmer until a later age, whereas
moderate and severe cases may present with murmers as a puppy.>>

If the following is true, why should only a few "identified" dogs be checked?
 How do you identify a problem this complicated without checking?  Seems we
may have done this too long with other problems, i.e., eyes, Patella's,
epilepsy, etc.  There is too much breeding taking place.  The explosion
(remember the "A" bomb) with pet, backyard, puppy mills, People brokering
rescues for breeding, etc., is there now more than ever.

Thanks for the information.  I hope we get a lot more.

Joe