Re: [PyrNet-L] SAS- Threat to Pyrs?

In a message dated 12/17/99 8:21:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
JGentzel@aol.com writes:

<< Is it recessive?>>

My understanding, Joe, is likely not.  It is believed in other breeds to be
either an incomplete dominant mode of expression or a polygenic mode of
expression.  It can present in mild, moderate, or severe form.  Mildly
affected animals may even go undetected without symptoms, and thus, this may
be how the condition is spread throughout the gene pool.  It is generally
detected initially via an audible heart murmer, and then more precisely
confirmed diagnosis via dopplar echocariography (sonography.)  Some of the
"mild" cases may not even have an audible murmer until a later age, whereas
moderate and severe cases may present with murmers as a puppy.

<<What work is being done to inform people and what
 recommendations are being given out?  Are any people or groups trying to get
 people informed about the necessity of checking for the condition?  Do we
 have any idea about the incidence and if not, how can this be gotten without
 checking?  What information is being gathered?>>

I'm not sure what information the GPCA Health Committee has, nor if any
research on SAS specific to Pyrs has been conducted.  We were discussing this
on the other Pyr list, and the possibility of at least some breeders with
high risk lines starting to screen for the condition in breeding stock and
puppies.

<>

It is scary stuff.  Here is a comprehensie link on the subject that addresses
most of the issues surrounding this sometimes silent killer:

 <A HREF="http://www.curlycoats.com/breed/health/heart/sas_links_page.htm">K-9
 Subaortic Stenosis Page - curly coated retrievers</A>
http://www.curlycoats.com/breed/health/heart/sas_links_page.htm

Kelley Hoffman
kshoffman@aol.com