[PyrNet-L] Re: earmites

In a message dated 12/16/99 8:52:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
pyrnet-l-owner@pyrnet.org writes:

<< Good morning all.  Does anyone have a suggestion for ear mites other than
a trip
 to the vet very 2 or 3 months.  Cotten has a terrible problem with them.  Get
 them cleared up and gone and then they come back.  Any suggestions would be
 appreciated.  Can't stand to hear her whinning when she is scratching her
ears.

First, I'd be sure the reoccurrence IS ear mites and not yeast infections.  I
have a dog who has allergies, and the ears  (yeast infection) are a constant
problem.  I found a cleaner called ADL  (also available by KV vet (I love
that mag!!)) which has two parts:  the cleaner and the flusher.  The cleaner
foams up and cleans into all the nooks and crannies, while the flusher gets
the "soap" out and dries the ear without alochol or anything stinging,  This
seems to keep her infections at bay.  Someone said yeast infection was
detected by flakey skin, but in my experience its a brown waxy/greasy
substance.   The fact that the problem keeps reoccuring indicates to me that
it is a yeast infection, or whatever treatment you are/have used for the
mites doesn't/didn't get all the mites.  I would have a talk with your vet
about it.  It's my understanding that if you follow the appropriate mite
treatment for the prescribed length of time, mites should not come back, or
at least on any kind of intermittent basis.  Good luck.

Elisa