Re: [PyrNet-L] SAS- Threat to Pyrs?

In a message dated 12/19/99 9:27:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Kshoffman@aol.com writes:

<< Here's a question: Why not just skip the linebreeding and go directly to
 successive generations of close inbreeding, continued full-sib matings
 coupled with stringent selection?  If linebreeding can and should be used
 wisely for the reasons mentioned, wouldn't close inbreeding be even better,
 even more appropriate and useful for all the same reasons?  Why don't most
 breeders who embrace linebreeding as the method of choice for establishing
 and/or maintaining a distinctive bloodline just use the more rapid method to
 achieving the same goals, i.e. close inbreeding? >>

There are many reasons, but mostly it involves what you want to achieve in
breeding.  Inbreeding takes courage and is either a spectacular success or
spectacular disaster.  Most of us are not that brave.  I seldom totally want
what I already have or I do want to improve some area or correct something
else, etc.  Inbreeding probably will not help this too much.  When I get the
perfect dog I might (LOL).  Inbreeding and long term close linebreeding seem
to decrease the "vigor" of the lines i.e. smaller litters and possibly
decreased size.  Everyone says this i.e. all the really old timers so I have
to respect this as well.  I know of no one who only breeds to identify
genetic problems in their line.  What a bore!!

Joe