Re: [PyrNet-L] SAS. threat to Pyrs??

In a message dated 12/19/99 2:13:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ARIEGE@xtra.co.nz writes:

<< It's true, linebreeding can pass problems on more quickly but outcrossing
is
 a good way of also introducing problems you've never had before>>

True, but assuming one does their homework as you suggest and one
familiarizes themselves with the strengths and weaknesses of any given line,
you can then select an outcross that avoids doubling up on defects existent
in either line (independently). In such a case, when crossing two relatively
genetically distanced lines with different unrelated deleterious alleles,
while you are possibly capturing pieces of the equations that produce defects
existent in both lines, you are also reducing the frequency and rate of any
single one of those defective alleles that factor into the equation that
crosses a threshold and results in genetic defects.

<<moderation in all things and know your pedigrees and learn to identify where
 these problems are coming from. Don't be too proud or too stupid to ask
 questions of the old hands and listen to them.>>

Absolutely!  This is true regardless of what breeding modality one espouses!

<<If you show a genuine interest in wanting to learn about these things
and not use the information you have been given in the wrong context
then the Breed will benefit. >>

Also very true!  I found this to be the case for years when I was practicing
primarily a linebreeding program and also over the past couple of years as
I've begun to do my research for implementing a more diverse method of
breeding.  Establish contacts, earn trust, demonstrate you have good
intentions, accept that no dogs are perfect, that NO LINE is perfectly clean
of genetic defects, don't make judgments on the choices individuals have made
when you haven't walked in their shoes, and it's generally a matter of "ask
and you shall receive."

Kelley Hoffman
kshoffman@aol.com