Re: [PyrNet-L] SAS- Threat to Pyrs?

In a message dated 12/19/99 7:20:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
JGentzel@aol.com writes:

<< While I appreciate Janice's observation and would not want to make any
 comments that are negative in the least, I have a huge alarm going off in my
 head.  The alarm says lets not make such a huge jump in theory and casual
 observation that could be exacerbated by bias and mistakes.>>

True, a controlled scientific study and statistical analysis of the data,
accounting for all possible variables, would be a more reliable indicator of
whether or not decreasing levels of homozygosity (reduced coefficients of
inbreeding) in Newfs is significantly statistically correlated to decreasing
frequencies of SAS (or other defects) in the breed.  It would be nice if some
credentialed professionals would take on such a study and test this
hypothesis, as the results could likely be extrapolated to apply to other
breeds and other species.

That said, I don't think the casual observation of a possible significant
link between reduced coefficients of inbreeding (COI's) and reduced incidence
of SAS is a "huge jump" at all.  The notion that more closely genetically
related populations (or subsets of a population) experience higher levels of
genetic defects than more genetically diverse populations or subsets is
certainly nothing new.  It is at the core of what the study of population
genetics is all about -- counting and tracking frequencies of both beneficial
and deleterious alleles across a population, then formulating a plan and
method for equalizing and balancing the distribution of these in such a
manner as to maintain as much beneficial genetic material as possible
population wide, while stabilizing and/or reducing the rate of deleterious
mutations population wide.

The theory that inbreeding (including linebreeding) in general results in a
higher rate of defects and less fitness has been strongly suspected and
speculated on for quite a long time, especially as it regards genetic defects
in humans, mice, and livestock. What *is* relatively new (especially so in
the past decade) is that current scientific evidence strongly indicates this
hypothesis is indeed true, not just opinion or conjecture or gut feeling.
Additionally, we are now learning *why* and *how* this happens.  The bottom
line is, genetics is much more complicated than we (specifically as dog
breeders) have been taught for the past several decades. Our dog breeding
books are outdated.  It's time to consider some continuing education.
Knowledge is not static, and that applies to genetics and dog breeding as
well.

<<Sounds like we cannot exactly pin down the genetic mode of transmission and
when we might it is like a roulette wheel, we never know when the mutation
number will hit. >>

Precisely, but what about when it is not just *one* number on the roulette
wheel, but certain combinations of a series of different numbers that result
in a "hit", or a "partial hit"?  In such a case, the smaller the amount of
genetic material one works with, the higher the odds of hitting those certain
combinations of numbers on the roulette wheel that *collectively* cross the
threshold and result in some grade of impaired function. The further you
cross the threshold, the more serious the grade of impairment. It sounds all
well and good to think that an individual breeder can "eliminate" such a
multifactorial defect in their breeding program via linebreeding or
inbreeding, bringing the defect to light, then stringently selecting against
it, but what if the breeder is only eliminating *part* of the equation, only
one or two of those "numbers" in the combination, just enough to put their
stock right below or at the threshold?  A breeder may well be fooled into
thinking their gene pool is "clean" for the defect, when in fact they may
have only eliminated but one or two of many factors in the equation.

Just to give an idea on how difficult it might be for even the most skilled
and informed of breeders to purge such a polygenic defect via linebreeding,
visit the following URL "Analogy of a Polygenic Trait with a Single Gene of
Major Effect".  This analogy describes the probable mode of inheritance
(although likely grossly oversimplifying) of idiopathic epilepsy in Belgian
Tervuren (my other breed) as based on the research of Drs. Famula and
Oberbauer at UC Davis and as presented at the AKC Canine Health Foundation
conference a couple of months ago.  While the analogy uses the example of
three genes, in actuality, we may be talking about several or more genes that
in certain allelic combinations, causes a dog to cross the seizure threshold.

<A HREF="http://www.abtc.org/analogy.htm">Analogy for a Polygenic Trait with
a Single Locus of Large Effect</A>
http://www.abtc.org/analogy.htm

The researchers focus is on locating the gene of major effect for epilepsy in
Belgian Tervuren.  However, even when we have a DNA test to identify this
gene, it won't be a 100% reliable selection tool.  A sufficient margin of
error will exist as certain individuals who carry the gene of major effect
will never cross the seizure threshold because they don't carry enough of the
deleterious alleles at the associated minor gene loci.  Conversely, there
will also be certain individuals who don't carry the gene of major effect,
but still cross the seizure threshold because they *do* carry enough of the
deleterious alleles at the associated minor gene loci.  In Belgian Tervuren
the estimated epilepsy affected rate of 15+% and the estimated carrier rate
of the major effect gene is 50+%.

Population geneticists recommend that the stringency of an applied selection
scheme against any given defect or condition should not eliminate more than
10% of the gene pool.  In other words, reducing epilepsy in Belgian Tervuren
is going to be a LONG HAUL, and *realistically*, we will never be able to
eliminate the defect completely, only to reduce it.  We can't focus total and
complete emphasis on eliminating epilepsy in Belgian Tervuren when we also
have a multitude of other health defects to be concerned about.  It's all
about striking an acceptable balance.

Kelley Hoffman
kshoffman@aol.com