Re: [PyrNet-L] breeding methods

Kelly, your very complete description of Line breeding and Inbreeding is the
best I have seen.  I agree with all that you put into the explanation.  The
only suggestion and addition I would add is you concentrate on the
undesirable or unwanted genes and mutations.  Desirable traits are magnified
as well.  In addition we can more accurately know what undesirable things we
want to work away from or even not breed these particular dogs and lines
further.

To only outcross is to open the door completely to non-homogenous offspring
and possibly never know what bad genes are there.  This will come home to
roost either with you or some later edition of your breeding lines.

I am convinced that this breed developed almost naturally i.e. the shepherds
only bred the best at guarding, etc.  If there was a problem, it most likely
in the main never got used.  Times were very hard and there was no room for
excess baggage of any type.  The dogs got fed poorly and treated even worse
most of the time.  Dwarfs, Lux-Patella, epilepsy, and the like would have
been bred out within a few generations as these dogs would not be good
guardians.

Most dogs were used within Valleys and thus the gene pool was rather limited
as well.  So you had a natural type linebreeding and I am sure inbreeding as
well.

INHO, the most important potent import to the lines here in North America is
Ibos du Val d'Aure.  He is a Sister-Brother mating of litter mates from Estat
d'Argeles.  He was a very large dog and he and his Grandfather Estat and
great uncle Estagel literally set the breed type here in North America.  Ibos
was the breeding juggernaut, Estat and Estagel were outcrosses of de Soum and
a "Dog of the Mountains" Rip de la Noe.  De Soum was already very tightly
line bred, so the inbreeding that occurred in Ibos was huge.  Ibos has an
Inbreeding Coefficient of 31.1 which if you study pedigrees much, is "Huge".

Anyway your explanation was excellent, just consider what good can occur in
addition to the negative things you describe.  At least with Linebreeding you
have some handle and reference on what you are doing.  With only outcrosses
you are totally rolling the dice every time on every trait and just asking
for things to be introduced or turn up that have been there for maybe
generations.

Thanks for your explanation, I am going to save it and use it if I might?

Joe