Re: [PyrNet-L] SAS. threat to Pyrs??

In a message dated 12/21/99 1:45:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
JGentzel@aol.com writes:

Quoting me:

  The most current knowledge and understanding of genetics and heredity
  indicate that linebreeding likely conceals (for generations) just as many
  things from a breeder as outcrossing might disguise. With complex modes of
  inheritance, you may not *know* something is there even with linebreeding
or
  inbreeding on a very small gene pool you are intimately familiar with,
until
  it is too late.

<<Can you reference this knowledge?>>

Keep in mind, this paragraph was in context with the rest of the post.  That
is, with complex polygenic modes of inheritance such as threshold type
defects, and impairment of fitness traits that results from an accumulation
of suboptimal alleles over time, linebreeding can hide for generations what
is going on genetically.  This is because like pairs of involved deleterious
or suboptimal alleles are gradually being accumulated over each generation,
until it reaches the point where the level of impairment becomes obvious and
"visible" to the breeder.  A breeder may have no indication that this is
happening *until* fitness is noticeably impaired, or until the threshold is
crossed that results in expression of a polygenic defect.

These statements are not based on one or two references, but on a vast amount
of written material I've collected and studied over the past two years based
on recent research in genetics and related fields.  This has involved
literally hundreds of hours of research on my own personal time, as well as
over a year of participating on the Canine Genetics Discussion list, and as a
result of that forum, having the opportunity to consult with numerous
professionals in the field.

As regards references, I think the URL I provided on the inheritance of
epilepsy in Belgian Tervuren is one excellent example. (Did anyone take the
time to read it?) Of course, others don't likely have the benefit of studying
the history and foundation of the breed that I do, but I can assure you that
in the beginning, both inbreeding and tight linebreeding were used quite
heavily in an effort to establish and fix type and optimally desired
"coloration". This went on for decades, and few if any breeders realized at
that time that what they were doing was slowly accumulating and fixing all of
the genetic variables that eventually resulted in the expression of epilepsy.
We are now paying the price for this as evidenced by our rate of epilepsy in
the breed, which can anecdotally be traced back to just a few dogs that
everyone bred to, forsaking all others, one of whom can easily be classified
as the "father of the breed."  It is virtually impossible to find a line
worldwide that did not initially heavily inbreed or linebreed on these dogs.
I can't imagine breeders would have done that if they new what consequences
we would be facing today as a result of that practice.

How about Dalmatians?  Decades of emphasis on linebreeding and inbreeding to
fix the optimal, perfect coloration and pattern eventually resulted in the
loss of the allele for normal urinary function.  It is generally assumed both
by breed fanciers and by scientific researchers that not one single AKC
registered Dalmatian carries the allele for normal urinary function.  Every
Dalmatian has the genetic makeup to express a urinary stone forming problem
to varying degrees. Now, the breed is facing a rate of 10-12% bilateral
deafness, and an additional 20+% unilateral deafness as a result of this
practice as well.  Research on the problems the Dalmatian breed faces
indicate crucial alleles coding for a necessary enzyme in urinary function,
and crucial alleles necessary for normal hearing have been or are being
"tossed away" breed-wide as a result of decades of inbreeding/linebreeding
with a selection emphasis for the "perfect" spotted pattern, as these mutant
alleles in the breed lie closely linked on the same chromosome as those that
produce the most optimally desired color/pattern.  I would certainly like to
think this happened inadvertently over the decades, and NOT that breeders
knew this was going on and just decided they would pay the price with urinary
stone-forming deaf dogs in the name of *perfect* spotting pattern.
(Mismarked dogs, those with larger than desired "patches" of black on the
ears or about the head have a much higher rate of normal, bilateral hearing,
but these are either severely faulted or disqualified by the standard.)

I would also recommend reading some of the excellent article links on the
Canine Diversity Page, some written by serious breeders, some written by
geneticists, mathematicians, statisticians, physicians, most of whom also
happen to be fanciers or hobby breeders and prominent figures in their
respective breeds, specifically as regards health research:

The Canine Diversity Page
<A HREF="http://www.magma.ca/~kaitlin/diverse.html">http://www.magma.ca/~kaitl
in/diverse.html</A>

There is a lot of material here to read, so if you don't want to take the
time to browse through all the links on the Canine Diversity Page, here are
some particular articles of interest:

"The Downside of Inbreeding: It's Time for a New Approach"
by C.A. Sharp
<A HREF="http://www.magma.ca/~kaitlin/price.html">http://www.magma.ca/~kaitlin
/price.html</A>

"The Price of Popularity: Popular Sires and Population Genetics"
by C.A. Sharp
<A HREF="http://www.magma.ca/~kaitlin/popsire.html">http://www.magma.ca/~kaitl
in/popsire.html</A>

"Diversity and the Purebred Dog: The Poodle and the Chocolate Cake"
by Dr. John Armstrong
<A HREF="http://www.magma.ca/~kaitlin/cake.html">http://www.magma.ca/~kaitlin/
cake.html</A>

"Eliminating Mutation: The Impossible Dream"
by Dr. John Armstrong
<A HREF="http://www.magma.ca/~kaitlin/mutation.html">http://www.magma.ca/~kait
lin/mutation.html</A>

"Genetic Diversity - the Dark Side of Inbreeding"
by Dr. Catherine Marley
<A HREF="http://www.lhasa-apso.org/health/divrsity.htm">http://www.lhasa-apso.
org/health/divrsity.htm</A>

"Inbreeding and Diversity"
by Dr. John Armstrong
<A HREF="http://www.magma.ca/~kaitlin/inbreed.html">http://www.magma.ca/~kaitl
in/inbreed.html</A>

"Inbreeding and Linebreeding"
by Dr. Sue Ann Bowling
<A HREF="http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/Genetics/Inbreeding.html">http://bowlingsi
te.mcf.com/Genetics/Inbreeding.html</A>

"Population Genetics"
by Dr. Sue Ann Bowling
<A HREF="http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/Genetics/PopGenI.html">http://bowlingsite.
mcf.com/Genetics/PopGenI.html</A>

"Phenotypic vs. Genotypic Heterogeneity"
By Dr. Leos Kral
<A HREF="http://aussie-health.westga.edu/research/general/hetero.html">http://
aussie-health.westga.edu/research/general/hetero.html</A>

"Multiple Gene Traits"
By Dr. Leos Kral
<A HREF="http://aussie-health.westga.edu/research/general/multigenic.html">htt
p://aussie-health.westga.edu/research/general/multigenic.html</A>

"Penetrance and Expressivity"
By Dr. Leos Kral
<A HREF="http://aussie-health.westga.edu/research/general/pen-express.html">ht
tp://aussie-health.westga.edu/research/general/pen-express.html</A>

"Breeding - Dogs or Pedigrees?"
by Dr. Catherine Marley
<A HREF="http://www.magma.ca/~kaitlin/assort2.html">http://www.magma.ca/~kaitl
in/assort2.html</A>

"Inbreeding in Dalmatians"
by Dr. James Seltzer
<A HREF="http://users.nbn.net/~jseltzer/coi_pub.pdf">http://users.nbn.net/~jse
ltzer/coi_pub.pdf</A>

"Congenital Deafness and Its Recognition"
by Dr. George M. Strain
<A HREF="http://www.lsu.edu/guests/senate/public_html/VetClinNA.htm">http://ww
w.lsu.edu/guests/senate/public_html/VetClinNA.htm</A>

I have plenty more, including scientific journal references, if anyone is
interested.

I wrote:

*New* and *current* scientific and genetic knowledge indicates that quite
probably a vast number of genetic conditions that afflict purebreds ARE NOT
simple autosomal recessives,

Joe responded:
<< Would be surprised it this was "new".  It has always been this way hasn't
it.
  If anyone ever thought every trait was one gene they are very wrong.  We
are
 actually lucky when this is the case.>>

Unfortunately, Joe, I think a number of breeders are mistakenly under the
impression that genetics is much simpler than it actually is.  However, like
you, I have always suspected the "simple" modes of inheritance are few and
far between. What's new is the advancements in molecular genetics that are
allowing scientific researchers to *prove* this is the case.  Additionally,
some projects to identify markers and genes related to modes of inheritance
that were initially believed to be simple autosomal recessive based on
pedigree analyses, are in fact yielding some surprises. For example,
Idiopathic Epilepsy in Belgian Tervuren was initially believed to be a simple
autosomal recessive, as was von Willebrand's Disease in Doberman Pinschers,
but in the process of developing a DNA test for the latter, it was determined
the mode of inheritance, while autosomal recessive, is a bit more complex and
involves variable penetrance and expression.

<A HREF="http://www.vetgen.com/vwdrpt.html">DNA Studies in Doberman von
Willebrand’s Disease</A>
http://www.vetgen.com/vwdrpt.html

Kelley Hoffman