Re: [PyrNet-L] SAS. threat to Pyrs??

In a message dated 12/21/99 1:47:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
JGentzel@aol.com writes:

<< You are not going to have a line with only outcrosses. You cannot study it
 at all. >>

First of all, with the help of my computer, all the other wonders of modern
communication, and DNA testing tools around the corner, I most certainly
*can* study it. There will simply be a higher number of ancestors in the
pedigree to "study" and as a result, it will be more labor intensive for me,
that I will admit. I'm not afraid of hard work.<g>

Secondly, while I may not have a "true bloodline" per se, I will have a
program that increases my chances of producing healthy, fit, long-lived dogs
that conform to the standard and my interpretation of breed type. They may
not all look like identical "cookie cutter" versions of the same, but as you
said in an earlier post, that would be kind of boring, wouldn't it?<g>

If breeding "cookie cutter" dogs is the idea, then why not just clone?  The
technology is right around the corner.  How many breeders are going to give
up breeding dogs and just start cloning their favorites?  Cloning doesn't
bring to the table the inherent problems that linebreeding and inbreeding do.
 So if one's primary goal is to produce a certain "look" with a high rate of
consistency, then cloning would be the better way to go.

Has any breeder so far recreated Estat, or Estagel, or Ibos, or Lorvaso, or
Impresario, via the use of inbreeding and linebreeding?  Not to my knowledge.
You yourself, Joe, have stated in the past that Mary Crane "lamented" in her
later years not having established a true bloodline.  I've read in more than
one piece of literature that Marjorie Butcher of Cote de Neige did not
develop a true bloodline per se.  Yet both of these ladies in my opinion had
a significant positive impact on the breed via the methods they chose to
pursue.  Mrs. Crane's efforts to import specimens from as many representative
original bloodlines as possible in her an effort to establish the breed in
the U.S. may quite possibly be the reason Great Pyrenees as a breed seem to
have fewer health problems than a vast number of other breeds with a much
smaller and less diverse founding base.

Kelley Hoffman
kshoffman@aol.com