Re: [PyrNet-L] How cold is too cold?

In a message dated 12/26/99 8:16:42 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Dancingpyr@aol.com writes:

<< Now that winter is here, I was wondering just how cold is too cold for
pyrs
 to be outside.  We have one Pyr and our border collie in the barn with our
 two goats -- the doors are closed and all major drafts excluded.  One Pyr
 stays in the house.  While we have central heating, it's turned down low
 (about 64 deg) at night.  The other two pyrs are in the kennel area by the
 lower barn.  Once again, the run is enclosed on 3 sides (more open to the
 south) with all major drafts excluded.  We also have hay down as bedding.
 It's dry, but I know the water in the buckets freeze when it gets really
 cold, like it did last night (around 24 deg this morning!).  Everyone seems
 fine with this arrangement, but I wondered if there was anything else that
 should be done.  Occasionally we can get temps in the lower teens and even
 pushing 0 deg F, but not often.

Hey, Robin no problem with these temperatures.  I am not sure what
temperature is too low.

Years ago we lived two winters in Ohio with about 15 dogs.  These particular
winters were history breaking in low temperatures.  One winter cars were even
driving on the Ohio River ice.  We worried a lot about the same thing.  Some
nights it would go to 20 below 0 degrees F. with wind chills at 50 to 60
below.  Deadly cold.  To our great relief the dogs loved it.  Have never
worried since with healthy, not old and frail, dogs.

Joe