[PyrNet-L] CHAT, RESCUE: The Rescuers Become the Rescued

I just received this letter in the mail with permission to reprint.  I hope
that you enjoy it.
Karen Reiter
Pyrenean Fanciers of the Northeast Rescue Chair
http://www.servtech.com/~kreiter/pfne/

------------------------------
Reprinted with permission...

The Rescuers Become the Rescued

If it were not for the two Great Pyrenees that Wanda and Eugene Buchanan
have, Eugene would no longer be with us.  Let me explain how their two Great
Pyrenees saved his life.

First I will tell you about their two Great Pyrenees.  The female, named
Melanie was a breeder placement.  Melanie was returned to her breeder,
Melanie A. Nadeau, not because she was a problem dog, but because her
previous owner has Multiple Sclerosis and was moving into a facility where
she could be cared for.  Melanie was her service dog.  She can help a person
off the floor, open the refrigerator, and just be there for support when her
person needed her.  Wanda Buchanan also has M.S. so this was the ideal
placement for Melanie.  The second dog was a rescue placement from PFNE.
His name was Val.  The Buchanans now call him Nada.

One Saturday in December, Eugene did not feel well, so he went to the
emergency room.  The doctors told him he had the flu and sent him home.
The next morning around tem a.m. Eugene settled in his favorite recliner for
a nap.  Five minutes passed, the dogs began pawing at him and barking,
running to Wanda at the kitchen table.  Wanda went to her husband to check
him.  His lips were blue!  She called 911.  Eugene had a heart attack and a
triple bypass was performed.  One week after returning home from the
hospital, the dogs did the same thing.  Eugene had gotten an infection at
the hospital, was retaining fluid and going into congestive heart failure.
They not only saved his life once, but twice.  Wanda and Eugene are very
grateful for their two wonderful Great Pyrenees.  If it were not for them
Eugene would have died.

Wanda wanted this story told so that others can understand how wonderful
Great Pyrenees are...

by Melanie Nadeau