Re: [PyrNet-L] Westminster

In a message dated 2/16/00 6:39:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
profitmanage@mgenerations.net writes:

<< If linebreeding makes it EASY to consistantly produce generations of
 beautiful dogs, I must be uniquely stupid because I find it is a great deal
 of work (albeit an enjoyable workload)  that involves a huge amount of
 reseach before each breeding. >>

None of it is easy, especially linebreeding.  Otherwise we would have scads
of Salelyn type kennels around.  That in itself would only "raise the bar" to
find the one top dog or kennel.

< It is no coincidence that the majority of
the top breeders use linebreeding.  The key point is that they are also
combining a great deal of skill in picking puppies, evaluating breeding
stock and knowledge of the breedings that have gone before them along with
the linebreeding.>>

Well said.  To say otherwise is certainly going against majority of opinion
from the dog world developed over many years and in many breeds.  I will go
further and say that many times when people breed they do not know they are
linebreeding as they are using a technique called "gene pooling".  They just
luck up in one breeding and get the combination of genes behind that
particular breeding.  Guess it is really incorrect to call this line breeding
as in my mind that term implies some knowledge, but the gene search and
analysis treats this the same.

Ever wonder why you got one litter that was so much better than the others.
Bet a close analysis of you gene pool would tell you and then looking at the
other breeding would show you the difference.  The thing is, that repeating
the breeding or one very similar would most probably give you the same type
results.

I know little about other breeds gene stock, but I know we are lucky here in
Pyrs as most of us, whether we know it or not, are working on top of a really
good gene pool.  I say this if face of the really bad genetic problems
occurring in the breed now.  I truly believe these problems, in the main, are
a result of our more contemporary breeding.  I think I have the historical
perspective to postulate this with some comfort.  This foundation of genes
were given to us by some very dedicated talented breeders who spent their
lives doing what they did so well.  Most of us will squander this gift in
some way.  Hopefully some will use it wisely for the next generations to have
to use.

Joe