[PyrNet-L] RE: [PRYNET-L]seeking more advice

I live on 4 acres in the same acreage development for the last 13 yrs.
My dogs have gone from being kenneled entirely outside to being house
dogs. The acerage development has filled up with people and dogs.  The
first thing I would suggest is crate training- all my guys sleep in
crates at night.  In fact come about ten pm., they are looking to go
into their crates. (I don't need a couple of small elephants stomping
around the house and slapping me in the head in the middle of of the
night so they can be petted)  I believe this is because it relieves them
of
"guarding" , whatever it is they think they need to guard- after all the
alpha dog(me) spent alot of time telling them everything was okay.  The
other thing to recognize is your deconditioning your dog and that takes
time.  My present male ( 3 year old) guarded 2 acres of empty pasture
from 7 am to 10 pm, until last spring. (There became a serious dog
problem in the acerage development- bad owners- one dog shot-
threats-etc.)  I then started to bring him in about 5 in the evening and
putting him out about 10pm- then into his crate until morning- if I'm on
the computer and get wrapped up 8 am seems to be their preferred time to
get up- although I like to get them out about 6:30-7:00.  It took a
couple of months for my male to settle down.  He had to go from being
highly conditioned, from chasing the trucks and birds from his pasture
to being in the condition just for the obedience work and walks with me.
The trick I found most useful was to redefine his work(most Pyrs are not
LGD's) they job is to love their owner and are quite willing to work for
that owner- no matter what that work is- It would have been easier to
make my male a foot-warmer in the winter time, as he is harnessed and
sled trained, so the transition would have been smoother then(I would
have had a way to burn off some of that excess energy.) I eventually
bought a bike and a springer attachment.