Re: [PyrNet-L] Seeking More Advice

He is probably very stressed and anxious from all the
new changes in his life.  The fact that he was an
unsocialized, outdoor dog doesn't help the matter.  He
may lack confidence and the ability to adapt well to
different situations.

I went through a similar situation with my pyr three
months ago.  The big, new change for her was moving to
a new house.  She had, and is still somewhat having, a
difficult time adjusting to this huge change.  The
other two dogs, a golden and a newf, adjusted just
fine.  She wasn't too bad during the day, but at night
she would CONSTANTLY pace, pant, cry, and pest me to
go outside.  There was nothing I could do to relieve
this anxiety of hers, and believe me, I tried
everything.  She was unreachable.  I couldn't correct
this behavior because she literally could not help it.
 She wanted to be outside, but I couldn't leave her
out there because of the barking.  I worked with my
vet to put her on medication for the time being.  She
was on some powerful stuff in the beginning so that
she could relax, rest, and have some peaceful nights.
I then established and kept to a routine for her.
I've used a couple of different medications for Lia;
right now she is on amitriptyline.  This helps her
anxiety but doesn't make her all "doped up" like some
other medications.  Lia is doing better, but it has
been a slow process.  My goal is to get her off of the
medication.

I would suggest:
1) Work hard to establish and keep a routine for him.
Not knowing what is going to happen may increase his
stress.  If he learns the routine, this will give him
something he can depend on.
2) You may want to try crating him at night.  He may
settle down if he doesn't have the whole house to
wander around in and increase his anxiety.  It didn't
work for Lia, but it might work for him.
3) Start teaching him commands in a slow, easy going,
happy manner.  This will give him something to focus
on and do and may help to calm him down.  It will help
him to learn how to communicate with you.  It will do
him good to use his brain and learn something.
Recommended authors for training books: Brian
Kilcommons and Carol Lea Benjamin
4) I would also speak with your vet.  He/she may be
able to prescribe some medication that will address
your immediate problems, the ultimate goal being that
you can later wean him off of the drugs.  This at
least would get you some decent nights of sleep.
Sleep deprivation is horrible; I know what you are
going through.

Good luck,
Angela Garner

=====