[PyrNet-L] CHAT: Smedley (last of the "geriatric canine trio" is gone

Early this morning, Smedley's heart gave out.  I found him laying
outside in his dog run when I got up this morning.  His cough had
sounded a little different last night.  He had been diagnosed with
congestive heart failure and a collapsed trachia more than 2 years ago,
right after we got Ciaran and had recently been up to 6 pills 2x per day
that didn't quite seem to help enough.  He hung on to survive Melissa
and Midnight but just couldn't hang on any longer.  He weighed just
about nothing (actually varied from 16 to 23 pounds.)  He had a
perpetual bad hair day (the offspring of a poodle and possibly a
sheltie.)  He never met anyone that he didn't love.  I used to say that
he was all fluff and love.  In his youth he could run like the wind.  He
literally ran circles around our Newfie puppy years ago while she ran
across the yard as fast as she could.  He used to be able to jump up and
kiss you on the nose (he had to get those kisses in!)  Recently he had
trouble just jumping up to be petted and would fall right back down.  My
vet said that in people terms he was about 99.  Had he held out until
May, he would have been 15.  I knew that wasn't possible but he did seem
to be trying.

He rejoins his brother (littermate) Midnight, from whom he was
inseparable in life (my vet called them "bookends" and "best buds."),
Melissa, and our old "shepherd", Girl, who treated them like they were
her own puppies when we brought them home from the shelter at 6 weeks,
small enough to fit in the palm of our hands.

Wish tears streaming down my face, Smedley, I will miss you!

Stephanie, Ciaran & Anais ( who are very quiet this morning and both
seem to understand)