[PyrNet-L] considering a Pyr

Hi -- my name is Julia and I live on the north Oregon coast with my husband
and two cats.  We have been researching adding a dog to our family for the
last several months and have come down to either a Great Pyrenees or a
Bernese Mountain Dog.  I have been lurking on both lists for quite some
time, in addition to reading books, attending shows, talking to owners, etc.
Either breed would fit well into our lifestyle, we enjoy the temperaments of
both and of course, they are both stunning dogs.  However, I am leaning
towards a Pyr -- health problems seem to be so commons with Berners (the sad
cancer stories on the Berner list have brought tears to my eyes several
times); I don't think I could handle that heartbreak!!  I have not noticed
too much mention of chronic health problems with Pyrs, either on this list
or in the books I've read.  Like any larger breed, I know that hip and elbow
dysplasia can be problems and parents should always be screened.  Eyes seem
to be another thing to watch and screen for.  Anything else I should be
aware of and watch out for?
Another question:  How much outside area does an adult Pyr require?  Our
yard is about 1 1/4 acres with about 80' of lake frontage.  Because of the
lake, the whole yard cannot be fenced.  My best estimate is that about 1/3
acre is fully enclosed with a six foot cedar fence.  Would that be an
adequate space and should that kind of fence be OK?  I know Pyrs can be
diggers, but do they dig to escape (i.e., under the fence), or just for the
fun of it and to lie in their handiwork?  I've heard and read several times
that Pyrs often can figure out how to open gates.  What kind of latch is
most likely to foil their efforts?
And the one question I can never get a straight answer on:  How much do they
really drool?  Does it depend on heat, activity level, etc.?  Is it
constant?  This certainly is not a make or break part of the decision making
process, we just want to know what to expect!
Sorry for going on so long, but I guess I had more questions than I thought.
Feel free to respond to the list or privately.
thanks,
Julia Richert
richert@pacifier.com