Re: [PyrNet-L] breeding question

--- Andy and Mary Hasper <ahasper@mmcable.com> wrote:
> she has never been shown in any competitions or anything like that.
> Although there are many titled champions in her pedigree.

Regardless of the number of champions in her pedigree, she needs to be showing her and shouldn't
even consider breeding her until she is a finished champion.  Just because there are many
champions in her pedigree doesn't mean she is breed quality.  You can have champions that throw
bad litters.  She needs to get the dog into the ring.

She has told me her intentions for breeding are not to sell the
> pups but wishes to breed her  because she wants to keep them as guardians
> for her flock of sheep & she has had requests from some of her family
> members to have one of her pups as a pet.

Does she really need that many dogs to guard the sheep?  Besides, not every Pyr makes a good
working dog.  One word of warning, these "family requests" for puppies often times vanish when it
gets down to taking a puppy.  People tend to back out when the reality hits.

> She has scheduled Jackie for the xrays to be done next week. Jackie is now 2
> 1/2 years old & in great health.

This is a start in the right direction, but I think she has a lot more work to do before
considering breeding.  Even if she is breed quality, breeding takes a lot of time and money with
no guarentees.  Reputable breeders aren't doing it for the cash, that's for sure.  Good luck with
you neighbor - I hope you're able to educate her more on the possibility of breeding her female.

Angela Garner