Re: [PyrNet-L] breeding question

> Regardless of the number of champions in her pedigree, she needs to be
showing her and shouldn't
> even consider breeding her until she is a finished champion.  Just because
there are many
> champions in her pedigree doesn't mean she is breed quality.  You can have
champions that throw
> bad litters.  She needs to get the dog into the ring.

Just out of curiosity..as you stated even champions can throw bad
litters..why must she be a finished champion before she is bred, I know i'm
probably sounding very illiterate on this subject, but i've had no interest
in breeding Maya, we had her fixed 2 months after she came into our home..so
i've not thoroughly researched the breeding aspect. If Jackie (my neighbor's
dog) is pyr "quality" & is seen by other reputable breeders & they say she
is within the breed standard then why must she be a finished champion? Why
is it so important for the lady to get her in the ring?

> Does she really need that many dogs to guard the sheep?  Besides, not
every Pyr makes a good
> working dog.  One word of warning, these "family requests" for puppies
often times vanish when it
> gets down to taking a puppy.  People tend to back out when the reality
hits.

I did mention that fact to her about people not always standing by their
promise to accept one of the pups & she understands that. When I mentioned
about what you said about not all pyrs make a good working dog, she stated
that she didn't care if all were working dogs. She has the time, money &
space to take care of these animals & would be very happy to have them as
just pets.

Thank you for all of the advice, it is very appreciated. The lady has a big
heart & has fallen in love with the breeed, but my concern is that maybe she
doesn't really know what she's getting into & hopefully the advice i'm
receiving from the list will make her really stop & think about this before
she proceeds any further.
Once again, thank you for all the advice & I am printing it all out & giving
it to her as it comes in.
Mary