RE: Re: [PyrNet-L] breeding question

--- Original Message ---
clhenke@juno.com Wrote on
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 10:33:41 -0600
 ------------------
Terry, may I ask, with out appearing to blast you or anyone else,
which I
assure you is not my intent.  How do you think we can best handle
animal
overpopulation, euthanasia, and endless rescue work?
If everyone who has a dog of a certain breed,  breeds that breed,
just
because they " want to " with  no criteria in mind at all?  Will
your
dog/ bitch be spayed/neutered when you have it?  Or will you
think it is
such a nice specimen that you will want to breed it?  It is an
on going
problem that never stops.  Showing a dog to title does not really
imply
it is the best, but it narrows down those who would breed somewhat,
because of the effort and expense.  There are actually a lot
of people
who love to show, but understand the amount of animals slaughtered
each
year, and will never breed, because of it.  I.M.O., no slam intended!

Cindy.

Cindy;

Thank you for your response and your very reasonable question.
In my "Particular" case; My stepmother bred and showed miniature
poodles, my very good friends bred and showed English Bulldogs
and my cousin showed Dobes. I have wanted to become involved
with Pyrs for quite some time and have prepared myself properly:
IE: visiting breeders, reading the required books and visiting
with rescue people. I have just volunttered to become involved
with rescue in my area.

It is my intention to own an "Intact" Pyr. First and foremost
as my constant companion/household guardian; secondly to ( hopefully)
accompany me on my weekly visits to the V.A. hospital, as both
my helper and ( again hopefully )as a therapy dog. If this requires
me to participate in showing the dog then I will do so.

Would I like to become involved in a selective breeding program
with one or more accredited Kennels? Yes. I feel that in this
way it is possible to ( at least one time ) breed a good dog
who is healthy and hearty, in conjunction with a suitable Kennel
that may want a healthy outcross.

In general; there are many good, responsible people, who resort
to Puppy Farms in order to own an intact dog. This is not a good
thing either, for obvious reasons. It appears that we have as
many questions as we do answers. At any rate, it is a worthwhile
topic for discussion.

Regards,

Terry
	unsubscribe pyrnet-l