Re: [PyrNet-L] breeding question/showing

In a message dated 03/11/2000 7:07:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
srwhitney@earthlink.net writes:

<< In general, people
 were chatting with the handlers down at our end  which also surprised me
 a bit.  I didn't think that was proper ettiquette.  It was pretty
 interesting, though :) >>

You should go to a European show, Steph. *G*

I was at an outside show in France in August 1998, a National Specialty no
less (not Pyrs), and not only do spectators "chat" with the folks in the
ring, exhibitors and/or spectators will walk right through the rings in the
middle of judging to get from point A to point B!   Some dogs are even shown
in the ring off-lead, and many dogs are allowed to mill around and mingle
off-lead at the site when not in the ring.

At single breed specialties, the classes are huge and they last forever
because there is often more than one judge evaluating dogs and they are doing
written critiques on every entry.  At a large specialty, it can literally
take hours to judge our equivalent to the open class. They also generally
have several rings going at one time at such shows, so you have to peruse the
catalog in advance to figure out what dogs you want to see, then you have to
"ring hop" all day to take in everything you want to.

What we call "double handling" is not only allowed, but *encouraged*. (We
also allow this with our UKC affiliated Belgian Shepherd Club shows in the
U.S., but we call it "assisted animation". *G*)  When a "popular" dog is
being evaluated, you'll have all his fans and friends and family outside of
the ring calling his name, squeaking toys, and so on, trying to get his
attention and get him "up" in attitude.

At the French show, one guy even handed his dog off to a friend and went to
the back of the ring which was bordering a tree line to, um, well, relieve
himself.  I'm not kidding!

It's a whole different culture in other parts of the world, in many different
ways. I rather enjoyed the casual atmosphere at the dog shows, to be quite
honest.  Was great for me because anyone who wanted to take photographs could
walk right into the ring, and get to within feet or even inches of any dog
they wanted to shoot photos of to get closeup shots. :-)

Kelley