Re: Re: [PyrNet-L] breeding question/showing

----- Original Message -----
From: Barb Bowes <bamb@monmouth.com>
To: <pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2000 8:05 PM
Subject: Re: Re: [PyrNet-L] breeding question/showing

> Terry, as a former breeder I reserved the right to turn away
> potential puppy buyers. Most of my puppies were sold on
> spay/neuter agreements. If someone did not agree to this they did
> not get a puppy. The reason that responsible breeders have
> spay/neuter agreements is because of the pet overpopulation
> problem in this country. If a breeder subscribes to the theory
> that they are responsible for any dog they produce for the length
> of that dogs life and the dog is spayed/neutered, when the dog
> goes to the Bridge the responsibility stops there. If the dog is
> sold intact and left intact in the absence of such a spay/neuter
> agreement then that breeder should also be responsible for what
> that puppy produces if the person actually breeding the dog does
> not assume this responsibility. Unfortunately people lie or their
> circumstances change or there is a death in the immediate family
> or perhaps a child is born that is highly allergic to dogs. There
> are all sorts of reasons why a dog could be re-homed without the
> breeder's knowledge or bred without the breeder's knowledge. At
> least those representatives of the breed who should not reproduce
> for any number of reasons will be spayed/neutered and unable to
> do so. As breeders we are stewards of the breed we love. We
> should take this responsibility seriously and make sure that any
> dogs who are not of breeding quality are spayed/neutered. -------This
means looking at the
> bad as well as the good.
>
> Barb Bowes
Barb;
Thank You for your very thoughtful response. I am not advocating that anyone
who wishes to own an intact dog should be allowed to do so. What I am saying
is that there are many people who have other legitimate uses for purebred
dogs other than The Almighty Show Ring. Only in the good old USA are
Professional handlers allowed in the ring.(unless I am mistaken) This is big
business pure and simple.

Please excuse my passion on this subject. I really do enjoy dog shows
and I will be attending one next week. However, in this wonderful country of
ours, people are still ( at least for the moment ) free to conduct their own
affairs. When an educated and intelligent family is turned away by a breeder
ONLY because they want to own an intact animal without being interested in
showing what do they do? Give up? Not in this country!

Thanks again for a really good discussion of this issue.

Terry