Re: [PyrNet-L] Skin rash

LynmaloneB@aol.com wrote:

> Hi Louise-
> My first pyr had recurring skin staph infections which had just the symptoms
> you describe. It would look something like chicken pox on his belly and, if
> untreated, he would eventually fuss with it quite a bit. We found that a
> course of antibiotics solved the problem although it recurred throughout his
> life - I think it was more likely during warm weather.

My Misty Lady, had hot spots, two summers in a row to the cost of
$500-600 a  summer. She was kenneled outside, and very active in the
winter, 2-3 walks of 5-6 hours a week, and running on sled a couple of
times a week, so I was feeding a high protein, high fat diet.  When I
finally changed her diet to a low protein, low fat diet the 3rd summer,
I never had another hot spot. (I was new to dogs and it just occurred to
me change her diet- she did so well on it in the winter).  I do know
some show people feed a high density, high protein, high fat diet, if
they are campaigning they dogs, so they can handle the stress.  I do
know you have to match diet to exercise and stress levels or your can
run into problems like hot spots, and not with just pregnant or
lactating females.  It's only a thought, and I am sure the people on the
list, particularly the show people can give better advice, than I can.
For example the sled dogs running the Iditrod at the moment are
consuming 12,000 calories a day. Tied to their dog chains, resting and
relaxing in the summer sun, I am sure they are not eating, any where no
where near this amount.
Harvey Noble
pyrnook@telusplanet.net